During the period between December 25 and New Year’s Day, the University typically has two or three paid holidays for benefits eligible staff employees and bargaining unit staff employees. Depending on when these holidays fall in a given year, there are three or four scheduled days of work between them. During these scheduled workdays, the University will operate on a reduced schedule.
- During the scheduled workdays between December 25 and New Year’s Day, the University’s office hours will be 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Despite the reduced schedule, eligible employees will be considered to have worked a full day and will receive their normal pay.
- Full-time eligible employees whose normal work schedule is other than 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. should be given appropriate accommodation comparable to the reduced schedule.
- Part-time eligible employees whose hours fall within the 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. time frame (10 a.m. to 2 p.m., for example) will work their normal schedule, or their hours can be adjusted at the discretion of their supervisors with no corresponding reduction in pay.
- If it is not practical for an area/department to accommodate the reduced schedule due to particular work demands, eligible employees who are unable to participate should be given accommodation in the form of comparable time off with pay later within the same fiscal year when the work load allows.
- Vacation or floating holidays taken during the winter break period (or the comparable time off period noted above) will be counted as full days off and will not be pro-rated based on the winter break hours.
Links to Procedures and Related Information
- Holiday Schedule
- Paid Time Off, Floating Holidays
- Paid Time Off, General Provisions
- Paid Time Off, Personal Business Days for Benefits Eligible Non-exempt Staff Employees
- Paid Time Off, University Holidays and Bonus Days
- Paid Time Off, Vacation
Date: April 2005